Your air conditioning (AC) system powers the heating and cooling of your home. When shopping around for a new system, you may be overwhelmed by what factors to consider most important. You should ask yourself three key questions:
- What type of HVAC system do I already have?
- What functionality and features would I prefer to have?
- How much am I willing to spend?
With Florida’s unpredictable weather, it’s important to have a reliable thermostat that regulates your home temperature, comfort level and energy costs. And selecting the right option is often easier said than done. Luckily, the experts at Air Care recommend only one brand: Honeywell.
When it comes to compatibility, efficiency, and keeping to a reasonable budget, Honeywell thermostats are a reliable choice for both homes and businesses. They come in a wide variety of models, with options for wi-fi smart home connectivity and remote control, to allow you to regulate your HVAC system while on vacation and save on energy bills.
1. Check Your System
Before you go out and purchase a new thermostat, you first need to discover what’s compatible with your current heating and cooling system – and what’s not.
Most homes and commercial establishments in Clearwater and across Pinellas County use central air units, but it’s also important to understand if your heating is powered by gas, electric or both. Check the labels on the front of your unit or review your energy bill to find out.
If you’re having trouble finding the information you need, contact a HVAC technician.
2. Choose a Thermostat Type
The type of thermostat you select is influenced by your preferences in features and costs. There are four common types of household thermostats that range in functionality:
- Smart thermostats learn your temperature preferences for heating and cooling, and over time, adjust the settings for you. These thermostats are managed from anywhere using a computer or mobile device and are even voice compatible through devices like Alexa or Google Home. While it requires a larger upfront investment, smart thermostats have the greatest energy bill savings over time.
- Programmable thermostats allow you to preset your heating and cooling preferences and automatically adjust the temperature throughout the day. Programmable thermostats are convenient when you’re away from the home and help you cut down on energy costs.
- Non-programmable thermostats require you to set your temperature manually. While this digital option is relatively inexpensive, it does not help reduce energy bills.
- Mechanical thermostats are found in older homes and are the simplest to operate. While it’s the least expensive option, it does not help with energy costs.
The choice is ultimately up to you. While mechanical and non-programmable thermostats are the least expensive options, these also do not help with energy costs. On the other hand, smart and programmable thermostats can increase energy savings over time, since these are built with the latest technically to help you keep costs down and comfortability up. According the Business Insider, smart thermostats can even slash your energy bills upwards of 20%.
Where to Purchase Thermostats
Contact the Air Care team in Clearwater to inquire about available thermostats. If you wish to have your thermostat installed by Air Care professionals, Honeywell brand thermostats are the only option. Please note that we only service the following geographic areas:
- Pinellas County
- Western Hillsborough County
- Southern Pasco County
HVAC Thermostat Installation and Maintenance
It’s important to properly install your new thermostat for an accurate reading of your home’s temperature. Start by installing your thermostat away from doorways, direct sunlight, appliances, vents and draft areas.
Most thermostats take approximately 30 minutes to replace the old one, connect the new base and wiring, and attach the updated thermostat. With the assistance of experienced professionals, you can avoid this hassle altogether and ensure a clean, high-quality installation.
Looking for a Professional HVAC Company to Help?
Air Care can help you with all your heating and cooling needs, from AC and thermostat repairs and installations, to parts, ductwork repairs, air purification, and more.